AnonymousLawStudent

The half-truths, omissions, and outright lies about floating through law school.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I am sitting down at my first lunch as a summer associate of the AnonymousNewYorkFirm to whom I am giving my services this summer. Myself, two other summers, two associates, and a high-wattage partner are at a table of a fine dining establishment. One of the associates interviewed me and was really friendly but very obviously deluding himself and everyone else involved with talk of of the "fantastic work" and "collegial culture." I haven't seen him in months and frankly he looks like shit, bloated and pale and beaten up by the work and the culture. He is also wearing a suit when no one else is wearing a suit, which is an unwise move since it is obvious that he was interviewing elsewhere this morning. Even I know better and I spent the better part of my weekend trying to get two 19 year old freshmen without fakes into bars on the lower east side. When we were unsuccessful one of them took me back to her dorm to do some body shots.

Instead of those good times, however, our lunch is getting tense as the associates are not showing nearly enough firm morale for the high-wattage partner and I am finding the tuna a bit flaky and tasteless even though it will set the firm back $26. I kind of feel bad for the guy, I mean he can threaten those who want to stay to become like him with stuff but for people who just want to get a paycheck for a few years, a line on the resume and leave it must be tough to exert authority. Then I think about all of the 19 year olds I won't be meeting and I feel bad for myself. Plus my cappucino tastes a tad too cold and flat. That's all I remember from today.

3 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous yamama said...

You are such a nasty pervert. No wonder you can't find a girl your own age. Life played a big trick on you.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your attempt at being effete rings hollow. You can't just affect a personality.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger ALS said...

"You are such a nasty pervert. No wonder you can't find a girl your own age. Life played a big trick on you. "

You are assuming I want a girl my own age. Most 24 year olds that I know are interested in things like getting married before they reach 25 or, heaven forbid, 27.

"Your attempt at being effete rings hollow. You can't just affect a personality."

If you are going to critique me for being an asshole---which I am---try sounding like less of one yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for this Site!