AnonymousLawStudent

The half-truths, omissions, and outright lies about floating through law school.

More Public Service

Friday, February 25, 2005

Despite a raging hangover, I am forced once again into the realm of public service this morning. It is my turn to be the student volunteer intern for a well-meaning underfunded organization providing legal services for the indigent. I am forced to wear a suit even though the clientelle is, well let's just say would probably be receptive to alternative forms of dress by their pro bono attorney, considering most of them sleep outdoors in good weather. The first woman I talk to is incoherent and quite obviously drunk or high or both. I am pretty sure I have seen her pandhandling the subway near my apartment many a time. She was supposed to come in for an appointment to fill out some work conserning mental health disability benefits. The fact that she is here at all is already a monumental achievement: the appointment showing up rate is roughly 20%. As I am shuffling papers around and hoping she sobers up enough to be of some use, she launches into her pandhandling speech. I almost drop by Starbucks cup from sheer surprise when she shrilly announces "My name is Gina and I am homeless. I am forced to sleep here on the subway. Last night while I was asleep a man attempted to rape me. I fought him off but now I am scared. I am working with City services..." I have no idea what is going on but I cut her off to establish that 1) her name is not Gina 2) we are not on the subway 3) according to her file she resides in a permanent shelter for women. This prompts her to curse at me and leave.

I surf the web for a while before a guy shows up and without asking me any questions launches into a tirade about the fascist policies concerning cigarettes in the city detention centers. Every other sentence is "I know my fucking rights." I am not sure that he does although he does look a remarkable amount like a younger, skinnier Suge Knight. At one point he looks at me and asks me if I need someone to buy alcohol for me, in which case he is more than willing to help. When I inform him that I am in fact 24 he also curses at me and leaves.

I hate pro bono. So much.

12 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh?

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With that kind of a mindset, you could go far at your firm. Can I have some money?

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger ALS said...

"With that kind of a mindset, you could go far at your firm. Can I have some money?"

Isn't that what my taxes will be going to, paying for the likes of you?

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hate pro-bono cause you have confronted a couple of crazies....You could be missing a great opportunity for some good cases.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why bother with indigent services if you don't like it?

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger kalisekj said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Tom Naka said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of beauty ginas health spa
for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on beauty ginas health spa
. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger doer said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a better sex life related website, hope that it is useful to you

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Wheel Chair Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about wheel chair accessible vehicle that covers wheel chair accessible vehicle related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

facebook kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for this Site!